Covid-19 (18 March 2020)
CLIENT ALERT: MyIPO’s Notice of Temporary Closure of Operations (18 - 31 March 2020)
Date: 18 March 2020
Download PDF File
On 16 March 2020, the Malaysian Prime Minister announced an unprecedented nationwide restricted movement order (Order) starting from 18 to 31 March 2020 (Period) in response to the Covid-19 pandemic. The Order lays out six major restrictions which include the closure of all government and private premises except for essential services. The announcement may be read here and the English translation may be read here.
Following the Order, the Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia (MyIPO) on 17 March 2020 issued a notice of temporary closure of operations (Notice) which provides some guidance to the state of affairs at MyIPO during the Period. We summarise the Notice below.
- MyIPO’s customer service counters across the country will close and will not be accepting applications filed manually or other physical documents.
- Priority dates that will expire during the Period claimed through manual filings will be extended to 1 April 2020.
- Deadlines for responding to office actions (e.g. appeals, oppositions and payments) which fall within the Period will be extended to 30 April 2020.
- Hearings for trademark, patent and industrial design matters during the Period will be postponed and rescheduled.
- Programmes including seminars and workshops during the Period will be postponed and rescheduled.
- Requests for certified true copies of documents will be unavailable.
- E-filing will only be available for new trademark applications.
- Applications filed via the Madrid System will be unavailable.
- Renewals for trademarks which have expired between 27 December 2019 and 27 March 2020 will be extended to 30 April 2020.
Patents and Industrial Designs
- E-filing will remain operational for patents and industrial designs.
- Deadlines for renewing patents and industrial designs will be extended to 1 April 2020.
- Voluntary notifications of copyright will be unavailable.
As judicial and legal services are not essential services, our business premises will be closed and our lawyers and staff will be working remotely during the Period.
If you have any questions regarding the above or would like to reach us for a new matter or learn about our business continuity plans during the Period, please contact your relationship partner or lawyer in the usual way.